Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wordsmith at Work: Dealing with Insanity

bookofjoe.com
First off, one week till the new website! I can't wait until it's ready to be released. As soon as I get my new blog up, I'll order new business cards with my new web address. I'll be able to show them to you and wander around handing them out. I'm even planning on making flyers, not to mention the online mailing list.

Not to mention I'm going to get a hot new logo! I love my little bloody rose, but it doesn't really have anything to do with being a wordsmith. No idea what the new one will be yet.

Also, my computer is currently in the shop. It should be fine, and I made sure I had everything I needed to work before I left it, but working from the other computers is just not the same.

Lastly, as I've been alluding to on Twitter, there have been some changes. You may have noticed that there was no post on Friday. That wasn't an accident. From now on, there usually won't be a post on Fridays. There is a very good reason for that, but as I am The Wordsmith, I will show rather than tell.

This is my weekend: Friday morning I wake up around 8 AM. I'm ready by 9, and I work out until 10. Then I pack a lunch and am out the door by 10:30 to get to work on time. I work until around 7, and then I go home.

This happens most days, except on Fridays I host an RPG (World of Darkness, to be precise) with my family. GMing, running a game, is incredibly draining. I haven't made it through a game yet without a headache, and halfway through I usually let my players devolve into chatter while I take a moment to collect my wits.

So I have an RPG (that I've been planning and fretting over for the past two days) all evening, and then I go to sleep. Then I wake up again! Saturday is almost exactly like Friday. Wake up, work out, take off.

Saturday I also have an RPG (that I am always late to because of work), but I don't have to run this one. One of my friends does that, and after the stress of Friday it's a welcome relief. Then I go to sleep, usually around midnight if I'm lucky.

Sunday my weekend finally starts to wind to a close. I don't work Sundays, and while I do pick up several people to go to church, going to church is tends to be more relaxing. After I get home around 2 PM, I usually end up going back to sleep.

What really killed the Friday blog post was working Friday. I can handle all of this and still write a blog post if I don't have work. When they started calling me in on Fridays, I couldn't handle it anymore.

I want to keep posting on Fridays, but only if I can. If I have to work, or if I haven't done enough planning for my RPG, I won't be able to write a Friday post. Consider it an unexpected gift if you get one. I do apologize, but I will continue to post every Monday and Wednesday.

So, what does your day look like? What compromises have you had to make due to lack of time?

Wordsmith at Work: Long periods of calm punctuated by brief moments of chaos and mayhem. D&D adjusts the scale in favor of more mayhem.

No comments:

Post a Comment